Linked Events

• Mass Effect 3 (US): March 06, 2012

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 10416 times)

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
Mass Effect 3
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
Mass Effect Project Manager Casey Hudson says he wants Mass Effect 3 to be released on this generation of consoles (via IGN).
Hudson says that the team is aiming for "a fairly short turnaround" though he doesn't say what this is - it could be a Left 4 Dead 2 type scenario or it could be a reference to the usual 2-year wait for sequels.

In any case, BioWare want to wrap up the trilogy within the Xbox 360's lifetime, which would make it a neat and tidy way of tying the series up. Though it's strange that we're currently running more stories on Mass Effect 3 than we are Mass Effect 2 right now...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:55:35 PM by nCogNeato »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Mass Effect 3
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
From what I've seen and read regarding ME2's development, the changes BioWare has made with the game's engine, logic, etc. will probably make development for ME3 much easier and more efficeint that the development of ME2.

I don't think they'll be able to rush it out by next Christmas, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's given a "Holiday 2011" release.

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
Greg Zeschuk, co-founder of Mass Effect and Dragon Age developer BioWare, has told Kotaku that your game save in Mass Effect 2 will carry over to Mass Effect 3.
For Mass Effect 2, BioWare will be implementing a system where your save in the original Mass Effect will have an, erm, effect on how the sequel plays out.

That same system where your decisions will come back to haunt you (or reward you) will be present in Mass Effect 3.

"I think we can actually extend that quite effectively to [Mass Effect 3]," explains Zeschuk ."The key thing being that that save game concept will work in 3 as well where we can take the save games from one to two, two to three."

What does this mean for now? Expect to be making a lot more tough decisions in Mass Effect 2, knowing everything will have a consequence...

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:32:54 PM »
What does this mean for now? Expect to be making a lot more tough decisions in Mass Effect 2, knowing everything will have a consequence...

The whole concept of gamesaves being carried over is quite awesome.  However, this does not play well with the way I play games.

Typically, when playing a "Morality" game (Mass Effect, Fable, etc.) I will play as a good guy during my first playthrough.  Then I'll play as a bad guy during my 2nd playthrough.  This means the last gamesave dated on my Hard Drive will likely be filled with negative decisions.

I still need to rebuy / borrow the first Mass Effect so I can recheck my gamesaves and make sure I carry over the correct gamesave.   ???

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »

The whole concept of gamesaves being carried over is quite awesome.  However, this does not play well with the way I play games.

Typically, when playing a "Morality" game (Mass Effect, Fable, etc.) I will play as a good guy during my first playthrough.  Then I'll play as a bad guy during my 2nd playthrough.  This means the last gamesave dated on my Hard Drive will likely be filled with negative decisions.

I still need to rebuy / borrow the first Mass Effect so I can recheck my gamesaves and make sure I carry over the correct gamesave.   ???

You could make two different charecters :)

Or even 4.. since playing male and female makes a massive impact on the game too.

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline xnightcrawlerxx

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 02:55:35 PM »

im pretty sure there will be a way to choose which gamesave to star ME2 from

Offline KoreRupt

• DJ ZeroCore - Hardcore Music.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
I also heard that if you pick "New Custom Charecter" you can pick various things that happend in ME and tinker with the options.

Eg. Did wrex die?  Yes/No
etc. (I'd say more but would be spoilers to anyone playing ME at the moment, JT :P)

Honour, Respect, Loyalty.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »
I also heard that if you pick "New Custom Charecter" you can pick various things that happend in ME and tinker with the options.

Eg. Did wrex die?  Yes/No
etc. (I'd say more but would be spoilers to anyone playing ME at the moment, JT :P)

That would be stuptacular!  It would certainly resolve all of my concerns with my previous multiple playthroughs (ie.  New Game 'Plus').

I replayed the game at least 3 times under the same "Save", which means I've most likely played out each scenario in every way possible.  I would love to be able to pick-&-chooose which scenarios carry over to ME2.

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:31 PM »
Let the rumours begin - BioWare Montreal is looking for a multiplayer programmer and the signs point towards Mass Effect.
The multiplayer programmer needs "experience with the Unreal engine". Mass Effect is the only BioWare franchise that uses the Unreal Engine, notes Joystiq.

When asked for comment, EA told Joystiq: "Mass Effect is a rich, dynamic fiction designed as a trilogy. The team at BioWare is working on new downloadable content for Mass Effect 2 and are in the early stages of Mass Effect 3 development."

So no confirmation but then, we wouldn't expect one. Still, food for thought - would BioWare risk messing with the Mass Effect formula for the final instalment by including multiplayer?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:17 PM »
I might approve of a co-op feature for Mass Effect, but it would have to be airtight and flawless to not frustrate me.

Any competitive multiplayer aspect pushed into ME3 will never be played by me (except for achievements of course).

Online GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:24:53 AM »
Sony Russia confirms Mass Effect 3?

BioWare is preparing to unveil Mass Effect 3, if a tweet from SCEE Russia is to be believed.

A post on the PlayStation Russia Twitter page, translated by RipTen, reads, "The company Bioware for premium VGA showed a teaser in which we can see the first shots of Mass Effect 3."

The clip it's referring to is posted below.

So, is this confirmation of a third full Mass Effect game or just an incorrect assumption on the part of a Sony Russia staffer? We've been in touch with Sony US for clarification and will update as soon as we hear back.

BioWare has been releasing cryptic clues for its as-yet-unannounced new title all week on its Facebook page. It's due to be officially unveiled at the Spike VGA Awards on 11th December.

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • XBL: xbn darkdesire
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »
bloody hell, i havent played 2 yet , better get a wriggle on

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »
problem solved , 2 for 25 quid at play.com can get ME2 and L4D2 in the new year , will need to re-buy ME 1 but its only 6 quid

Online GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »
bloody hell, i havent played 2 yet , better get a wriggle on

I haven't even played the first game, it's currently placed (still wrapped of course!) beneath my copy of COD4.

You can get the sequel for around a tenner now.

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 06:42:10 AM »
yep, its 10 preowned, or like i said 2 for 25 so i may as well spend a little extra , apologies for no pound sign, it seems to have dissapeared of my keyboard ????

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads