Author Topic: Resident Evil 5 by AchyHippo  (Read 1799 times)

Offline TaraJayne

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • Twitter: TaraJayne360
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: TaraJayne360
  • XBL: TaraJayne
Resident Evil 5 by AchyHippo
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:48 AM »
Resident Evil 5 by AchyHippo   

It sucked.

0/10

Just kidding

I will say this to start off, RE5 is probably the worst Resident Evil game out there BUT its a damn good action/horror co-op game, I only say this as someone who's played every RE game that's ever come out, even the crappy ones.

Graphics: Just amazing, I mean goddamn is this game pretty, one of the nicest looking games I have ever played and they fit it all in one disc, everything is just finely detailed and looks amazing, I can see why most of the game is in the daylight, its so you can see all the pretty graphics. Character models are very detailed and everything is just wonderful.

Sound: You got your usual assortments of songs for every kind of scenario, voice acting is top-notch, all the monster enemies have their unique sounds and everything has some kind of audio cue so there's no cheap deaths. Great work here.

Gameplay: Continuing the RE4 tradition, RE5 is more of an action game than survival horror type, a few things where changed from RE4, for one your inventory system is much smaller now, instead of Leon's magical suitcase you have 9 spaces bullets stack up to a certain number but healing items don't, treasure type items just get added to a big inventory at the end, the inventory is also real time so you really gotta know what you plan to use, that way you set them to your hotkeys on the D-pad, seeing as you can only hotkey 4 things, you gotta choose wisely.

This can get annoying when your inventory fills out or when you need to make a healing item in the middle of the fight, its a mechanic to add artificial tension but I'm not to impressed, its ok but I don't like it very much.

RE4 controls also return in full swing, you can't run and gun here, you must be stationary to fire, after playing things like Dead Space or Gears of War, one can see how this scheme could be bothersome, control schemes have evolved well past what RE5 offers us, they do their job but that's largely due to how they made the enemies behave, most of them tend to rush and sorta stop if they get to close, they only swing at a set point in their proximity to you, again more artificial tension, I don't mind the controls but I imagine there's people that would.

Beyond these aspects lies the rest of the game, you have 6 chapters broken up into various stages, all in all I'd say it could take you 8 or 10 hours for your first playthrough.

Gone is the merchant from RE4, now you whenever you complete a chapter you get brought to a screen where you manage your inventory, sell treasures and purchase weapons, one thing RE5 has over RE4 is that they made ALL the weapons useful, in RE4 certain weapons where just flat out better than others, in RE5 every weapon offers something tailored to everyone's playstyle.

Maybe you don't wanna carry ammo, in that case take the default handgun, the first machine gun, the first shotgun and the first rifle as they all the biggest capacity and any ammo you can find can just be reloaded into the weapon.

Maybe you like power, in that case, the sig, AK47 and M3 shotgun are your best bets as they are the strongest weapons in their respective classes.

The rest of the weapons fall in the middle of the road category, they don't excel at anything, they're perfectly balanced, you can also unlock special weapons as well such as a longbow for Sheva or a Gatling gun for Chris. Upgrading ALL the starter weapons also unlocks special weapons such as the triple barreled shotgun or the burst fire pistol. Upgrading a weapon to max also allows you buy infinite ammo for it.

Beyond that, we come to the actual game itself, Capcom REALLY pushed that co-op aspect so you have a partner with you at all times, if she dies(or he if you are playing as Chris), its game over, sadly this overpushing of the co-op aspect has led to Sheva having less than stellar A.I, quite frankly I used her more as a portable item box than anything really, one thing though, she is a very good shot with a rifle so put one on her(and only that) and you shouldn't have to much trouble, she'll cause you endless trouble and anger though in certain areas especially against certain boss fights, changing what she does doesn't help either, on cover she barely shoots, on attack she wanders into a group of enemies and gets her dumbass killed.

Basically, find a friend and play with him, only play with the A.I if you can give her a gun with infinite ammo.

The problems don't really stop there, RE5 is simply not scary, there's not a single horror aspect in the entire game and there just wasn't a moment that made me jump, it was an action game to the core with very minimal horror elements.

Another problem is that after a certain point you are faced with enemies that have guns, this slows the pace of the game immensely as you are forced to use a cover system(which becomes active only when you have to fight enemies with guns) and just pop and shoot, enemies are extremely stupid and its just a shooting gallery.

Instant death QTE are back in full swing and in online co-op, these can be a huge pain in the ass as even minimal lag will screw you over, I don't mind QTE's but they can be a pain, especially any section that has to many or one where you have to mash a button for what seems like an eternity.

Probably my biggest gripe with the gameplay is that there is drawback for dying, if you die you get taken back to the preparation screen where you can sell the treasure you accumulated, restock on ammo, upgrade, the works, there's just no downside to dying, you die and you can just come back stronger and better equipped.

Upon completion of the game you unlock the mercenaries mini-game, this offers you a variety of maps and you kill a bunch of enemies and try to aim for a high score, getting an A-rank on these maps unlocks more characters for use in Mercs, sadly they skimped on characters so all you get is a bunch of re-skins of the people in the game with the only unique mercs characters being Wesker and a certain other character which I can't mention because otherwise I spoil an important plot point. This is a very fun mode and its also online capable, this will keep you coming back.

Story: The story does its best to tie up loose ends from all the other RE games but it still leaves quite a few hanging, worst of all is what Wesker became, he turned from a smart asshole to a lunatic asshole who wanted to become a god, they also introduce Spencer who has been built up for years in the RE mythos and he's just some old man who has like 10 minutes worth of screen time, all in all the story feels like Capcom realized they wrote themselves into a corner with a lot of the things they did so they just wrapped everything up.

The game also has a library which is accessed from the main menu, that will fill in tons of plot holes and details about the story of most RE games, its a treasure trove of RE info.

All in all, Resident Evil 5 is one of the best action/co-op games on the market but as a Resident Evil goes, its easily the worst as every single Resident Evil convention has been removed, typewriters, item boxes, everything, Capcom could have released this game with a different name and re-named characters and not a single person would have been able to tell the difference.

I highly reccommend it if you want a good little action/co-op game but if you're a longtime Resident Evil fan, you will be dissapointed.

Can't wait for Shenmue 3

I hate jokes that rely on visual imagery.

I've had it right up to here with them.

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
  • 2011 GAA Senior Football Champions
  • Last.fm: windedprism
  • XBL: Windedprism
Re: Resident Evil 5 by AchyHippo
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:55 AM »
I couldn't agree more with this review.Before I repurchased a 360 last January this was the no1 game I wanted to play.Just disappointed with it.It's a good game don't get me wrong but there is nothing scary,creepy or remotely freaky about it.Compare it to Resi 4 or the orignal and it loses it's niche.Also having multiplayer as a dlc?eeeek!
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[/url]

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:54 AM »
There are no scary games only wimpy gamers!

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »
Well dead space with the lights and a good sound system is freaky.But true though,no jumpy moments like the dogs coming through the window for the first time in resi 1.
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[/url]

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
Well dead space with the lights and a good sound system is freaky.But true though,no jumpy moments like the dogs coming through the window for the first time in resi 1.

Dead Space was a quality game but it's about as scary as those Paranormal Craptivity films!!!

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
lol ok maybe it was just me! ;D we shall send you down the air con shaft when ripley's in da house!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
lol

GM is a cyborg.  Fear does not compute.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:53:10 PM »
lol

GM is a cyborg.  Fear does not compute.

;D

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »
I liked RE:5 for what it is, which is a fun coop action game. Let's face it, Resident Evil abandoned its survival horror roots with RE:4. Besides, games are almost never succesfully creepy anyway.
Your mom!

Offline ApocalysePony

• XBL: ApocalysePony
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »
I liked RE:5 for what it is, which is a fun coop action game. Let's face it, Resident Evil abandoned its survival horror roots with RE:4. Besides, games are almost never succesfully creepy anyway.
But to be honest i played RE2 when i was 9...i pissed my pants at my friends house then ran all the way home :'(

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
But to be honest i played RE2 when i was 9...i pissed my pants at my friends house then ran all the way home :'(

The same thing happened to me

... last weekend.    :-[

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads