Author Topic: Limbo, a Failed Review  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Limbo, a Failed Review
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:16 AM »
Limbo

5 hours of gameplay, that's what there is here. Ignoring the 'Finish the game with less than 5 deaths' achievement, the whole game is 5 hours long. However, this 5 hours is a journey of discovery, elation, fear, sorrow infact every emotion you have will boil over eventually. A great 5 hours, one you'll continue to play and not stop because of this wonderous platformer.

Uncertain of his sisters fate, A boy enters Limbo. That's the intro and story, there's no tutorial, 3 controls; move, jump, action. What this does is create a sense of exploration unlike another, your probably so used to a tutorial with fully mapped controls and perhaps even a tips section in the options that it feels obscure a lot like the whole game and so you're left to explore this beautiful and vast area yourself.

Beautiful definately, as you can see from the screens. The silhouette world is more so moving, there's an ethereal light that surrounds everything above, like weak sun through grey clouds. Below ground you find yourself in darkness trying to find the next light source, just because in the darkness you can't see the deadly traps strewn everywhere, the deep pools of water or the crushing machinery which quickly make pulp of your shadow boy.

Dieing is easy in this game and there are no repurcussions for it, none game wise and yet you strive to keep shadow boy alive because of who he is, he's a boy and seeing him gibbed by a buzzsaw, drown or skewered through the face by the leg of a giant spider is disturbing. So we struggle not to die, even without drawbacks to death. The checkpoints are generous and this is a good thing, because often you'll get past one trap to quickly be chewed up by another.

The puzzles in this game are trial and error, where you'll stand around thinking of the solution, try it and die .... then try something else. A great sense of accomplishment is gotten from finding the answer, swiftly followed by a realisation of how simple it was in the end. Sometimes there is no time to think with the sound of a buzzsaw, closing in on you as you try to get through the next puzzle.

The world you enter is eerily quiet, there is little music with maybe just some flies buzzing over a corpse or a solitary bird. All to often this dreamlike silence is juxtaposed with harsh sounds of traps that draw closer, the crash of industrial presses or the slow, yet persistant rise of water. Even the sound gives you a sense of the black and white world.

Getting past the horror of small boy dieing and a short life span. This game is one of those games you should try, because one day when people are talking about Rez, Shadow of the Collossus and anything else that make games an art form. You can mention Limbo and how truly amazing the game was, the exploration, puzzles, enemies and discuss the story that wasn't except the one made for yourself.

9/10
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:45:10 AM by Failed »

DFUSIONITE

Re: Limbo, a Failed Review
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »
bloody hell great review there failed. Gonna get this today!

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 05:48:17 AM »
I truly love this game, i want to play it now, i want to get through the game and get that last achievement. If it wasn't for Gears x20, i'd play it again tonight.... i might anyway.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
Good review mate, i'm gonna play this after dinner sometime.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:09 AM »

I am going watching toy story 3 in 3d with dfusioness and dfusionelle (my daughter- thats her gamertag) today and then tonight is gears, i won't have chance to play it  :'(

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:30:14 AM »

I am going watching toy story 3 in 3d with dfusioness and dfusionelle (my daughter- thats her gamertag) today and then tonight is gears, i won't have chance to play it  :'(

Play it after we've owned the world.  :)

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:35:44 AM »

Play it after we've owned the world.  :)

:D good point, my daughter's off school now so i can stay up as late as i want

Astrex

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »

By the way, Toy Story was awesome! I cried  :'(

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
Beautifully written review, Failed.  I'm in love with this game now, and I haven't even played it.   :)

NeuroticSarge

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:44:37 PM »
Indeed,you've sold it to me.Will download this over the weekend when I've purchased some points.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
Loving it so far, very eerie like Failed has mentioned, it has a similar feel to Ico for me, great game.

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »
i like to call my shadow boy milo :P

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

So there is a Milo game afterall.   :)

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »

So there is a Milo game afterall.   :)

haha yeh, i didn't feel as bad everytime i threw him into a trap.

DFUSIONITE

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »

By the way, Toy Story was awesome! I cried  :'(

Me too, at the end. I had to wait until everyone else had left the cinema so i could dry my eyes without getting laughed at by all the kids  :D
Great film, loved it, highly recommend it.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads