Author Topic: Xbox One Discussion  (Read 23179 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
Re: Xbox One Discussion
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
Digging Into Xbox One's Used Games Policy
Keys to this article:

The physical disc is an important factor in this equation. When you buy something digitally there is an understanding that you won’t be able to share it – PC and console gamers alike are used to that. But when you buy a disc? Then, part of what you are buying is surely the ability to share or give away or resell that physical object. This is how consoles have always worked. When you buy a CD or a vinyl record, that music doesn’t get magically tied to your iTunes account.

The question becomes, do you trust Microsoft as the curator of your gaming life? Do you trust that particular corporation with control over your games, and when and how you play them? It’s easier for many people to trust a company like Valve, which has a very different relationship with its customers, than one like Microsoft (or indeed Sony, which hardly has a spotless record in protecting its customers’ data).

"I think sharing is intrinsically important to humans,” Walker asserts. “It's too easy to dismiss culture as greedy/everyone for themselves, etc, because on a micro level it simply isn't true. In fact, it's really only true on a corporate level. What we're seeing [here] is, just as we have with music and film, corporations trying to apply their sociopathic corporate mindset to consumers as a mass. And consumers aren't a mass, they're people, and they defiantly share.”

I really don't see how they plan on implementing this without getting rid of the physical media. I know they will, but for some reason it feels way shadier that the disc that's in my house, I have no right to do whatever I want with.

With bigger purchases, say a car, I can finish paying it off and then do whatever I want with it, paint it neon green, give it to a friend, sell it, etc.... maybe I just don't buy the "rights" defense, especially if we're going to be paying full price for just those "rights" and physical possession doesn't seem to account for much.

I'll stick with the 360 for now because I like the system and, let's face it, I'm invested in it already. When the 360 is no longer supported I will jump to either the PS4 (I'm sure I'll find something to like about it from multiplatform titles or their store) or the WiiU (Kinda excited about Smash Bros.). I just cannot believe that the Xbox One is everything I never asked for. I mean it boggles the mind.

I can see leaning more towards the PS4 myself, unless there's some dramatic change or alteration to the Xbox One...for now, much like you say, Xbox 360 still has a slew of games I've been meaning to get to.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
I can see leaning more towards the PS4 myself, unless there's some dramatic change or alteration to the Xbox One...for now, much like you say, Xbox 360 still has a slew of games I've been meaning to get to.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15306-Rumour--Microsoft-to-Reverse-Xbox-One-DRM-Policies.html

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Loads of gaming sites running the story on the rumoured DRM changes now, maybe there's some truth in them, more than likely not but one can hope!  :)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »
Here we go:

Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
The internets strikes again...looks like they found that "off switch" somewhere. For some reason, this brought the following scene to mind.. :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCF1QdyxhM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCF1QdyxhM</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Microsoft Details Xbox One Feature Changes Following DRM Turnaround

Following the revelation that Microsoft is to ditch its controversial Xbox One DRM policies, comes the news that some of the more interesting features associated with the console’s online nature have been affected too.

Among these features are family sharing - which allowed users to digitally share one game between 10 members of their “family” - and the ability to have your game collection available digitally through your Gamertag, wherever you go.

Although it would seem that the latter will at least still be available for those games downloaded from Xbox Live.

Speaking to Kotaku, VP of Xbox Live Marc Whitten said, "There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change."

"One of the things we were very excited about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course your physical games won’t show up that way. The games you bought digitally will. You’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch."

Whitten said of the new approach, "The way to think about it is it works the way it does with 360. You can give them, loan them, trade them, play them. They will work exactly as they do today."

Beyond that, Microsoft has also expanded upon its intention to ditch region locking. "You could buy a console in any country and use it any country," said Whitten. "You can use any disc in that console."

The Xbox Live VP concluded by saying, "We believe a lot in this digital future. We believe it builds an amazing experience—the ability to have a broader sharing platform and my content coming with me, [but] what we heard is people still wanted more choice… they wanted the familiarity of the physical disc."

Edit: It has also been confirmed that to enable Xbox One to operate properly offline, a day one patch will have to be downloaded.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:33 PM »
Jokes aside, good for MS - let the tug-o-war for my wallet begin!  ;D
Although, I know behind all the "listening and good will" statements, sale projections most likely had everything to do with Microsoft's  backpedaling.

The one question I see circling around is - If the update is applied through a software "hotfix", does this mean it could be easily re-applied through the same means in the future?

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2013, 05:47:39 AM »
No Price Cut, No Kinect-Free Xbox One, Says Microsoft

Following last night’s surprise turnaround by Microsoft concerning the Xbox One’s DRM measures, many gamers have been asking about two things: Will there be a price cut and will we be able to buy an Xbox One without Kinect?

The answer to both questions is no.

When quizzed about a possible price drop, Xbox Chief Product Officer Marc Whitten said, "We really believe deeply in the value that we're delivering. Not just for the first day of launch, which we think is going to be amazing, with amazing games and entertainment experiences, but what this architecture can deliver over the long term. We feel good about our price."

Meanwhile, when asked about the possibility of a cheaper Xbox One that does not include Kinect, Whitten said, "We still absolutely believe in Kinect. It's a core part of the architecture.”

“Frankly, it's really critical that you build it as something that's always there, always part of the platform. So that game creators, experience creators can know they can rely on it. And you, the user, that there's always a consistent experience. That it's not just an accessory."

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
You May Be Able to Use Your Xbox 360 Headset With Xbox One

Microsoft is working on an adapter to make Xbox 360 headsets work with the upcoming Xbox one.

That’s according to a tweet by the Xbox Support account, which was asked, “Will current headsets such as X11 and Astro A40 work properly on the new consoles? Haven't seen info on pad connectivity.”

Xbox Support replied, “We are working to develop an adapter for current wired headsets to connect. More details as we approach launch.”

Should Microsoft solve the problem, it’s good news for gamers who own expensive headsets.

The recently revealed Xbox One headset (pictured below) does not come bundled with the console, as the platform holder believes that the Xbox One’s Kinect microphone is a suitable replacement.

Offline Lastenline

• Time Zone: GMT -05
  • Nintendo: 0791-2461-6043
  • Steam: Lastenline
  • XBL: Mailman12089
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2013, 10:39:17 AM »
Because the most important thing is to have headphones that are backwards compatible. Meh.

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Preliminary Reports: Xbox One Will Support Indie Game "Self-Publishing" -

This is a departure from Microsoft's current policy for the Xbox 360, which requires independent game-makers to either work with an outside publisher—a company with a licensed agreement to publish games on Microsoft platforms, like EA or Activision—or publish their games through Microsoft Studios. That policy was reportedly remaining in place for the Xbox One.

The details are still hazy, but according to this new report, indies will be able to release games on Microsoft's next-gen console without jumping through all of those hoops.

While Microsoft hadn't offered many specifics on the Xbox One's indie policies, they did mention broad plans to support indie developers, with former Microsoft Xbox head Don Mattrick telling Kotaku, "We're going to have an independent creator program... There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that."

Sony, on the other hand, has offered indies self-publishing on all of their platforms including PlayStation 4, which created a significant contrast between the two console-makers.

Game Informer reports that Microsoft will allow developers to set their own release dates and pricing, and will aim to certify games in as few as 14 days. They also report that retail Xbox One units will be able to be converted into developer-unlocked debug consoles.

Sources: [Kotaku] | [GameInformer]

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »

UPDATE: Every Xbox One Console Can Create
Official MS Statement:

Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August.

Source:[Kotaku]

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:04:00 PM by zerosum »

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »
UPDATE:

Microsoft's Marc Whitten:
"My goal is for it to just show up in the marketplace.... Of course there will be different pivots inside of that. There will be everything from what are we curating, kind of like spotlight content, to the normal discoverability stuff like recommendations, what's trending, what's got a lot of engagement on the platform. And you'd be able to find that content in any of those. There wouldn't be any difference based on what type of game it was. Then of course there will be other type of pivots where you can go and look at whether its a genre of game or any other. But you shouldn't think of it as there's an indie area and a non-indie area.

Just as today, where we will highlight things that are coming in on the service, we want to make that more discoverable. We'll make it things that we curate as well as the other ways that you find content whether that's what your friends are doing or what we recommend based on your play behavior. Or top listings. We want to make sure we have all of those types of discoverability mechanisms."

As for what the process will be like for gamers and indie developers to publish on the Xbox One, Whitten only shared the basics with us today. He says that it will be a simple process of visiting a website to sign up as a developer to set up your console as a devkit. You'll be able to download the devkit and edit source code on your PC to transfer over to the Xbox One.

No word on any cost to developers, but if you want to charge for your games, Whitten says that pricing will resemble what it does on today's Xbox 360 Marketplace.

Whitten hopes that their certification system required before publishing games on the console will take care of both the technical and policy requirements necessary to ensure that there's no funny business happening with either IP infringement or any policies they might reveal on mature content.

*Note: Feature will not be made available at console launch, but will instead be added at a later time.

Source: http://kotaku.com/microsoft-every-xbox-one-can-be-used-to-make-games-up-898750954
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:19:34 PM by zerosum »

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads