Author Topic: South Park: The Stick of Truth  (Read 2070 times)

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: crak316
  • PSN: crak316
  • XBL: crak316
South Park: The Stick of Truth
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:50:31 AM »
Obsidian's South Park RPG detailed
Uses Dungeon Siege 3 engine, Parker and Stone writing script

A few salient gameplay details regarding Obsidian's recently announced South Park RPG have slipped out.

As detailed in the latest issue of Game Informer magazine, summarised by a generous NeoGAF poster, the game revolves around your character attempting to fit in in South Park.

The game begins with you taking part in a live action role-playing game with other kids from the neighborhood, which eventually evolves into a real adventure.

There will apparently be five character classes for you to choose from: wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue and a fifth "unconventional" class made up by Cartman.

The lead character will be a silent protagonist at the request of South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, who are writing the script.

One of the key gameplay features is a smartphone that acts as the game's menu. A Facebook-like app indicates how many friends you have and your current standing with the game's various factions.

Combat is turn-based and said to be similar to the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games, with time button presses offering multiple hits or additional defense.

There'll be both ranged and melee weapons to pick up - all of which can be augmented - as well as a summons feature.

Plenty of collectibles are also promised, with different Chinpokomon dolls offered as an example.

You'll be able to explore South Park between quests. Though it's not made entirely clear in the summary, it appears that the game is 2D, with the action taking place in both the foreground and background of a scene.

The game is being developed in the same engine that Obsidian used for Dungeon Siege 3.

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:16 AM »
The fifth unconventional class is "Jew"   :)

South Park RPG Class List Includes the Jew

The list of available classes is Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric and ... Jew.

South Park: the Game might just be the best game Obsidian Entertainment ever makes. Show creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone personally approached the KOTOR2 and Fallout: New Vegas developer to see if the team could mimic the show's cutout-style animation and goddamned irreverent tone. While we won't know if Obsidian hit the mark until the game comes out late in 2012 on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, the description lead designer Matt MacLean gave Gameinformer on the classes and combat of the game will taste like Chef's chocolate salty balls.

You start out as "the new kid in South Park when you join Cartman's game and you'll be able to select from five basic classes: Fighter, Mage, Thief, Cleric or Jew," said MacLean. "The Jew is going to be our paladin/monk type character and the current design is that he's a high-risk-high-reward character. The closer he is to death, the more powerful his abilities become. So you're strongest when you are at one hit point, but you're also just about to die."

MacLean said that when Parker and Stone came to Obsidian to talk with the developers, they were a lot more hardcore than the team assumed. "We've talked about a lot of games inour meetings with Matt and Trey. I thought I had played a lot of RPGs," MacLean said before listing a few of the games that came up like Ultima, Wizardry, KOTOR, and Deus Ex. "Matt and Trey love gaming, they are some of the most hardcore gamers I've ever met."

The combat sounds like it will be a combination of Paper Mario and Final Fantasy VII. It will be turned-based but you'll definitely get chances to react to attacks with a timed button press. But the whole gimmick of the game is that all the kids are pretending they are casting spells and bashing each other with maces, but they are actually doing real life things like throwing something on fire pretending it's a magic missile.

Which all sounds pretty schweet. I just hope the Jew class has a secret ability called "gas-powered shower" or "guilt-trip". What? Too much? I wouldn't put it past Parker and Stone to write something like that into South Park: The Game. I'm not sure it would be a South park game without pissing off a few ethnic groups.

Offline donnieoneshot

• Children of the night. What music they make.
  • Last.fm: donnieoneshot
  • XBL: donnieoneshot
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
If it doesn't insult at least a dozen different groups then I'll be very disappointed!! ;D  In fact, if it doesn't even mildly insult me, I'll be a little disappointed. Jew Class all the way!!
[/url]

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »
If it doesn't insult at least a dozen different groups then I'll be very disappointed!! ;D  In fact, if it doesn't even mildly insult me, I'll be a little disappointed. Jew Class all the way!!

+1 ;D

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
  • 2011 GAA Senior Football Champions
  • Last.fm: windedprism
  • XBL: Windedprism
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
Sounds interesting, a decent South Park game?maybe. If EA relented the Taliban to opposing force you can bet the Jew class will be changed.
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[/url]

Offline Jurassic Parky

• XBL: Jurassic Parky
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:02:18 AM »
Yea', But EA are pussies!

Offline Windedprism

• Baile Atha Cliath
  • Super Dooper Member
  • 2011 GAA Senior Football Champions
  • Last.fm: windedprism
  • XBL: Windedprism
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:43:50 AM »
Vs money most publishers are, the lure is too great. I'm surprised that Obsidian are running with it tbh, I guess they need the money otherwise they'll have no money. money vs no money? (that was confusing!). The only thing is,who is the going to publish it? SE published Dungeon Siege 3 and Sega Alpha Protocol, they're gonna have to sell this one big time. Plus South Park is not as popular as it once was. I used to love it, but then the genuine humour ran dry and the show relied on crossing that delicate border into crass for crass' sake. Just because we can doesn't mean we should, funny is funny you know, and suggestion can be much more effective.

I still think the characters are great though and they're hasn't been a really good game (remember the n64 game? wow that was bad!). The concept sounds fun though, and Obsidian will bring some classier writing. Having A ''Jew'' class and portraying it incorrectly (see Palestine and the true origin of this name/land and people) also feeds into the blindness that modern culture has about the Jewish people. As long as any race/creed/ethnicity's in the game are treated with the same brush and it's not done for the sake of public hype (note it's one of the most touted game features) then I guess it's defensible, but I'm not hoping on that one. Anyway what I mean is that I think enough people could be offended to get it changed, which is what happened of course to MOH with the boycott threat.

Freedom of speech  does not mean freedom to be an asshat!!
Keep it clean :), well not too much!!!!!

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator" alt="bf3 forum sigs">[/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZHv-9e2ro" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkZHv-9e2ro</a>

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmDZ3gxgEw4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmDZ3gxgEw4</a>

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:51 AM »
THQ Delays South Park: The Stick of Truth as Financial Troubles Continue

THQ has delayed a number of games following continued poor financial results.

South Park: The Stick of Truth has slipped from March 5, 2013 to a vague “early fiscal 2014,” while Metro: Last Light and the PC-exclusive Company of Heroes 2 will now hit in March next year.

The announcement was made during THQ’s second quarter financial report last night, during which the extent of the publisher’s continuing struggles were outlined.

Although higher than its own expectations, THQ’s quarterly net loss was $21 million. It has lead the publisher to appoint Centreview Partners to find “strategic and financing alternatives” for the ailing company.

If THQ’s position is not turned around, analysts are predicting an equity sale and failing that, bankruptcy.

Despite this, President Jason Rubin is putting on a brave face, saying that the game delays will ensure the highest possible quality.

“Our fourth quarter releases are the first titles that I have had the ability to materially impact, and experience told me that the games needed additional development time to be market-ready,” he said.

“I firmly believe releasing our fourth quarter titles without extra time for polish in the current environment would lead to underperformance that could in turn lead to future additional capital shortfalls.”

The trouble is, delaying games adds to development costs and means that the publisher has less money coming in.

“Extending development schedules in order to make the best possible titles also has financial implications,” continued Rubin. “Yet there can be no doubt which path has the greatest chance of leading to the long-term success of the company.

“We must follow the course that generates the highest quality games, and will establish THQ as a mark of quality for the consumer.”

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
I can't blame them for being cautious about the financial investment.  I won't be preordering it, but I will buy it eventually.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd4N8yEfr1M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd4N8yEfr1M</a>

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE

Offline GamerMan316

• Forum Moderator
  • Über Legend
  • BEST SINCE DAY ONE
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:24 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-c27maVdWY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-c27maVdWY</a>

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads