Author Topic: Wondering what make of Windows phone to go for.......  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Smithk4

• Time Zone: GMT
  • PSN: Smithk4
  • XBL: Nursingtitan84
Wondering what make of Windows phone to go for.......
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
Hey. Thinking of changing my phone from the Iphone 4 to a Windows Phone. I've had the Iph4 for the last 18 months so a change would be nice. Obviously the whole xbox Live experience is a high bonus with Windows phones!

Just wondering what different types of windows phones you guys have and if you would recommend one. I'm currently looking at the Nokia Lumia 800 (think its the 900 in the states through AT&T):

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Nokia-Lumia-800.htm

Looks a nice phone. Its just out in Europe but there is a rumor that the Lumia 910 (if it exists) might get a UK May release date? The mobile world Congress 2012 take place at the end of this month, 27th of Feb, so I might wait and see what comes out of that.

Anyway let me know what you think. Any guidance appreciated  ;)

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Wondering what make of Windows phone to go for.......
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »
I bought the Samsung Focus (SGH-I917) in 2010, which I don't think is even being manufactured anymore.  Instead, they've divided the Focus line into a top tier (Focus S) and a low tier (Focus Flash).

At the time I bought my Focus, I was confident it was the best Windows Phone on the market.  The Focus S is a slight step above (larger screen, better camera, faster processor), but I haven't shopped around enough to compare it to other newer models.

But just from my own personal experience, if I was shopping for a new Windows Phone, I would need "gorilla glass" or similar for durability, at least a 4" screen for games, and a battery with over 6 hours of talk time.

Amazon reviews are always a great place to get some Pro/Con input.

Offline Smithk4

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree, Amazon is a good source of reference and one I have used previously. Samsung are a good make. I know a few people who have Samsung Smart phones and are really happy with them.

I'm eally tempted to try and see how Nokia and Microsoft combine their Hardware with Software respectively. In my previous post I mentioned the Lumia 800, a lesser spec'ed phone then its US version the 900.
The Nokia Lumia 900 was launched a while back at CES 2012 and initially was an exclusive concept for AT&T. But, it turns out that this is only an exclusivity for the first 45 days.
We'll possibly start to see this phone launched on the other networks throughout this year but hopefully a debut in Europe towards the end of 2012.
It comes with a 1.4GHz CPU, a 4.3-inch AMOLED display with a Gorilla Glass front, which is a decent jump up from its little brother – the Lumia 800 comes with a  a 3.7-inch AMOLED screen also with a Gorilla Glass front.
It has two cameras are as we where expecting, with the rear-facing one being the same 8-megapixel shooter that is inside the Lumia 800, and the front-facing part being there mainly for video conferencing duties rather than providing top-notch shots.
With built-in 16GB of storage, and the 512MB of RAM will see Windows Phone 7 remain nice and zippy no matter how many apps you are running on it.

I'll be keeping an eye on the mobile world Congress 2012 take place at the end of this month, 27th of Feb. If there is anything of note from it, which I hope there will be, I'll post it here.

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:55 AM »
Those are nice specs.  Nokia is new to the Windows Phone market, so be sure to investigate negative reviews so you don't get any bad surprises. 

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
A friend of mine that works for AT&T is really excited about the Lumia 900 releasing next month in the US.  Even more so than the Focus S.

I'd wait until it releases and I see some reviews, but just from their excitement alone I'm interested.

Offline Smithk4

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Ya I feel the same too. I think we're looking at a Qtr 2 possibly a Qtr 3 release date over here, so we'll have plenty of time for looking through reviews.

Looking forward to it  :)

The specs is the above posts speak for themselves but one of the key things from the WMC today was that Nokia are going to extend the Lumia 900 beyond the US. Traditionally this would not happen. Nokia must be really going all out.....

[/url]

Offline Mojo Red

• Poker Player
    • Twitter
  • XBL: Mojo Red
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »
I'm definitely excited that the 900 is being released outside the US though I'm not sure if I'd rather hold out for one of Nokia's Apollo (Windows Phone 8 ) phones thats rumoured to be out at the end of the year.

Offline Mojo Red

• Poker Player
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »
I'm definitely excited that the 900 is being released outside the US though I'm not sure if I'd rather hold out for one of Nokia's Apollo (Windows Phone 8 ) OS phones thats rumoured to be out at the end of the year.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »
I'm definitely excited that the 900 is being released outside the US though I'm not sure if I'd rather hold out for one of Nokia's Apollo (Windows Phone 8 ) phones thats rumoured to be out at the end of the year.

Windows Phone 8!?!?!  Holy crap, I had no idea.  If WP8 is dropping this year, I'll just hold onto my trusty Focus until then.   8)

Offline Mojo Red

• Poker Player
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
'AC/DC' Windows Phone 8 handsets[/url]

Ugh.  I predict those commercials are going to be annoying.   :P

Offline Smithk4

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 05:30:30 AM »
Ok, so looks like WP8 is not going to work on older WP's (this includes the Lumia 900). With this in mind, I'm going to hold off my research until the end of the year. The Fall boasts some big additions to the phone market, namely WP8 and the next IPhone? I think it would be silly to change at this stage so I've extended my contract with my carrier for another 6 months.

Some additional info, on the subject, for anybody interested:

Why your Windows Phone device won't be updated to Windows Phone 8
http://www.phonedog.com/2012/06/26/why-your-windows-phone-device-won-t-be-updated-to-windows-phone-8/

Samsung: The kingmaker for Windows Phone 8?
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/samsung-the-kingmaker-for-windows-phone-8/80988

[/url]

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »
I'm also holding out for WP8 before getting a new phone.  Looks like my Samsung Focus is going to have to last me a little longer.   ;)

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads