Author Topic: Skype beta lands on Windows Phone  (Read 783 times)

Offline Smithk4

• Time Zone: GMT
  • PSN: Smithk4
  • XBL: Nursingtitan84
Skype beta lands on Windows Phone
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:33:41 AM »
Skype announced that a beta version of its app is now available for Windows Phone and a full version is expected in a few months.
As you would expect, the Skype Beta app for Windows Phone allows you to make free Skype-to-Skype calls over 3G and 4G networks, as well as make calls and send texts over data.

The Skype Beta is cool and all but we’re still waiting for it to be baked in to the platform on a deep level. Now that Microsoft has purchased Skype, we expect this to happen sooner or later.
You can check out the video below for an idea of what to expect:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFMjO1we_0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhFMjO1we_0</a>

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
Re: Skype beta lands on Windows Phone
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
About time!

Download (US)
Download (UK)

Offline Smithk4

• PSN: Smithk4
  • XBL: Nursingtitan84
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:43:39 AM »
Microsoft's multibillion-dollar Skype acquisition is starting to pay off.

The software giant on Monday announced that Skype for Windows Phone Beta is now available. Windows Phone 7 device owners can opt to download the software directly to their device or from the Marketplace on their PC.

Skype for Windows Phone Beta comes with features one might expect, including free audio and video calls to other Skype users over 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi, as well as the ability to call landlines or mobile phones for a fee. Group chats and one-to-one instant messaging are also available.

Skype has already been made available on Android, iOS and Symbian. It took last year's US$8.5 billion acquisition of Skype to bring the service to Microsoft's own mobile operating system. In addition to Windows Phone, Microsoft plans to integrate Skype into its many other platforms.

Microsoft says that Skype for Windows Phone Beta will work best on Nokia's Lumia 710 and 800 devices, as well as the HTC Titan and HTC Radar. The Samsung Focus S and Samsung Focus Flash have also been certified to work with the software.

Skype for Windows Phone Beta is only available on Windows Phone 7.5. Microsoft hopes to release the "gold" version of the software in April.

(NOTE: It mentions the Lumia 800 in the above paragraph, but the Lumia 800 has no forward facing camera!!)

[/url]
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
(NOTE: It mentions the Lumia 800 in the above paragraph, but the Lumia 800 has no forward facing camera!!)

I played with Skype yesterday on my 2 year old Samsung Focus (also without a front facing camera).  Audio conversation and messaging works fine.  Video chat works, but uses the away facing camera, so you can either choose to not see the person you're talking to while they see you )or vice-versa), or use a mirror to reflect.

Either way, Skype now works on Windows Phone which is long overdue.  It also gives me a reason to upgrade to the Nokia Lumia 900 when it finally releases.  ;)

Offline Mojo Red

• Poker Player
    • Twitter
  • XBL: Mojo Red
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »
Downloaded and I'mliking it. Its cool that I can use the app's video chat on my dev phone using the back camera. Tango requires you to have a front camera in order to even boot up the app.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads