Linked Events

• Fable III (US): October 26, 2010
  • Fable III (UK): October 29, 2010

Author Topic: Fable III  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
  • Now with almost no cannibalism!
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • Conservative Gamer Bloke - My Blog
  • Last.fm: Hndshks
  • OnLive: Handshakes
  • PSN: ShakesyJ
  • Steam: handshakes
  • XBL: Handshakes
Re: Fable III
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »
My pie making prowess is already famous throughout the lands of Albion. Villagers come from far and wide and pay thousands of gold pieces just for one of my masterwork pies.

Yeah, the economy in this game is a little broken.
Your mom!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
I tried co-op for the first time last night.  It's worlds improved over Fable II, but still not good.

It may have been a bad connection with my partner, but the glitches & lag made it impossible to enjoy.  Cutscenes would stutter & repeat.  Hit detection is virtually non-existant.  Melee attacks worked 50% of the time, firearm attacks worked 10%.  I eventually had to resort to just spamming the fire spell.

On the plus side, the co-op experience didn't seem to have any affect on my single-player playthrough, as it did on Fable II.  When I went back to my single-player playthrough, I started right where I had left off before trying co-op.  I did keep all of the gold & experience I earned in co-op, but I think I may have lost some of the clothing articles I aquired in co-op.

Has anyone else tried Fable III co-op?

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Okay, I'm going to live in this thread for quite a while because this game boggles my mind so much.

First of all, for all the hype that the "touching" feature recieved it isn't worth any of it. At certain times it feels silly and forced (like when I'm leading a grown man by the hand through a forest. Why can't he just follow me?), and even at best it doesn't actually add anything to the game. Why did they hype it so much? I just don't get it.

Next, the economy of the game is somehow even *worse* than Fable 2. The second Fable's economy was broken because you could buy some real estate and stop playing for a week, then when you came back you would have enough gold waiting for you that you never had to worry about it again.

In Fable 3 the economy problems are two fold: 1) You can make ridiculous amounts of money just by playing the lute or baking pies, and 2) there is nothing to spend the piles and piles of money you make on. Seriously, at this point I am just buying in-game real estate for the sake of buying in-game real estate because I have all this money and there is nothing to buy in the game. They simplified the shops to the point where most of them only sell one or two items, most of which don't cost much. And because they made it so that your weapon grows along with your character, which is admittedly a cool feature, there is almost no point in buying a new weapon (and there are far fewer to buy than in the previous games).

But the biggest offense this game has given me is the difficulty level. Plainly put, there is no way you can lose in this game. There have been no close calls in any of the fights. The challenge is rendered even moot-er-er by the fact that you have enough money on hand at all times to buy a gazillion potions. I have about 30 in my inventory right now (though I can't be sure, which I'll get to later), but I've barely had to use them anyway.

The game feels like it is holding my hand way too damn much. Everything is simplified to the point that it is bland and boring. The combat is in that one-button style of Fable 2, but they made the magic/shooting/melee combinations more streamlined so it is even easier than before. Even the task of drinking potions to restore your health is guided for you by the game. If you are taking hits in a fight you can't just drink your potions willy nilly. No, the game has to decide when you are hurt enough and then recommends that you drink up with the d-pad.

They also simplified the social minigames. Apparantly timing a button press to fart on someone's face was too hard, so now all social "minigames" are just a matter of holding down A until the game tells you to release it. At this point, why can't I just press A? Why do I have to hold it down and release it? It isn't like I'll ever even possibly fail that minigame.

That reminds me, there is no UI at all in the game. All actions are now context sensitive. So, remember how you could buy a bunch of beer at the tavern and give it to townspeople and get them all drunk? You can't do that now. You have to wait for the game to tell you when you can use any of the consumable items that you buy including food, potions, and alcohol. You can't even give a gift to your wife (who is just as useless and pointless as she was in the last two games) this time around unless she specifically asks for one. And because there are no menus, I literally have no idea what is in my inventory. Luckily, 90% of all the crap you pick up (gems, rings, jewelry) is useless now because you can't give it away without someone asking for it specifically first, so you might as well not even know that you have it.

You also don't have a health bar. If you think that maybe this is dangerous because you won't know if you are dying, don't. Lionhead's solution for this is to give you more health than you possibly know what to do with, and when you actually are in danger of getting knocked down then the game, as previously mentioned, reminds you to drink a health potion.

Total hand holding.

I'm reminded of something Peter Molyneux said about Fable 2. He said that if you put the game in the hands of someone who has never picked up a game before and let them play, then they will be able to get right into the game with minimal difficulty and have a good time. Well, back when Fable 2 was new I tested that theory out on my then girlfriend, who had never played a game before. The theory failed as she struggled to get the camera under control and remember what all of the buttons did. And she was a giant whore, but I digress.

The point is, I think maybe Peter saw how Fable 2 wasn't as accessible as he wanted it to be, and so he went all out in making Fable 3 the easiest, casual-i-est game he possibly could. And I suppose he succeeded... In making the most bland, unchallenging game I've played in a long time.

NOW... Onto the good stuff. The script and dialogue are awesome. Like, possibly the best I've seen in a game. John Cleese's butler character, particularly, is a joy to be around, and I can't wait to hear what he has to say next.

The combat, even if it is too easy, looks really cool, and it is a lot of fun stringing together magic with melee and gun attacks. The finishers are also really nifty, even if they seem to come out randomly.

Even though the social minigames are simplified into pointlessness, they actually made the social dynamic itself a bit more involved when it comes to getting people to really like you, which is good. In the old Fable games, if you walked into the middle of town and started flexing your muscles you could get everyone in shouting distance to literally fall in love with your character. This time you have to personally interact with each character you want to win favor with, and relationships come in stages (ie: stranger, friend, close friend, marriage). Each stage of your relationship is punctuated with a little subquest specific to that person. It makes building relationships more work, and makes that part of the game a little more rewarding than before.

Overall, what can I say? For all the railing I'm doing against it, I'm still playing the hell out of it. There is a lot of fun to be had here, but I can't help but wish that the game would throw a little challenge my way here or there, and not hold my hand and baby me so much.

I'll have more to hate on as I get a little further into the game. PREPARE!

I haven't tried the coop yet. I can't imagine it would go smoothly though. The game's framerates dip all the time as is.
Your mom!

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
Great look at the game, it won't change my opinion of what a game i have never played will be like, just generally reinforced my belief that it would have been too easy and i wouldn't enjoy all the buying houses and making people in towns like me. I just wanna kill ogres.

I will probably play it and just try and stick to the main story line.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
Fantastic synopsis, Shakes.  I could not agree more with everything you touched on.

After roughly 3 hours into Fable III, I realized I was no longer in the "tutorial" portion of it even though it still felt like it.  There is a lot of fun to be had, but some of the changes they've made boggles the mind.  It can only be enjoyed if you manage to turn the experienced gamer part of your brain off and stop asking questions.  I'm just going with it now, and having much better time.

... And she was a giant whore, but I digress.

I just wanted you to know that this quote is going to echo in my mind for the next week, causing me to giggle at inappropriate times.  I lovehate you.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Thanks Neato and Failed!

For the record, I don't want to dissuade anybody from buying this game. You all know me, and know how hard I am to please when it comes to games. I'm just throwing out observations as they come to me about the game. After all I've said the game is still very much a Fable game, and if you liked the previous two games you will still enjoy Fable 3.
Your mom!

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »
I wouldn't pay moenyz for it, i will just borrow it at some point.

Offline Kyuubi

• Super Dooper Member
    • Blind 100
  • XBL: KyuubiKitsuni
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2010, 06:21:29 AM »
It most certainly has been dumbed down a lot almost to the point that it is linear unless you force yourself out of the mould.
This does have it's issues too btw.

I wanted to amass more guild seals before hitting the Road to Rule and at the moment as a result can't find a way to manually get back to it......frustrating or possibly where I've missed something.

It is a bit linear on all of the social interaction too but I can see there are millions of things possible.....just if you can be bothered.
New map is a nice thing in the sanctuary but it occasionally gets confused by the pressing start sometimes doing different things.....
It's also got lag! offline!

Did not expect that one.....

and whats with the underlying chicken theme......???

Still all good though and I've stopped playing DR2 for it so can't be bad....

Offline citatscEellE

• Designated Twi-hard
  • PSN: Elleelastic
  • Steam: Elleecstatic
  • XBL: Angry Toaster
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »
is it just me that i feel this game jipped me?
Fable 3 didnt deserve the hype that it was getting..
It felt so short, i didnt pay 80$ for a collectors edition to only be used for 2 1/2 days..
i think imma trade/sell this ASAP it was fun but not as fun as expected..
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline ASYLUM NINJA

• XBL: ASYLUM NINJA
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
A Peter Molyneaux game not living up to the hype, i must admit i'm quite shocked  :o

Offline Jurassic Parky

• XBL: Jurassic Parky
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
I've only put around 7 hours in but have nearly completed the main questline. Fable II seemed longer, and more fun. Love Mr. Fry as Reaver though.

Offline Handshakes

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
I think I put in about 20 hours or so before I beat the game, and that was with a TON (5 hours or so) of putsing around at the end to get some cash(without spoiling anything, you have to raise a mother load of money to get a certain ending).
Your mom!

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »
... (without spoiling anything, you have to raise a mother load of money to get a certain ending).

Good to know.

Hopefully that's not a problem for me.  I'm a real estate tycoon, currently brining in roughly 1000 gold every 5 minutes.  I only own 2 regions so far, many more to come.

Offline dfusioness

• Way Beyond Awesome
  • XBL: xbn darkdesire
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
i actually think im gonna give this a miss. my first xbox experience was fable, it was definately my initiation , tough to play, fighting was a bitch, but the story line was amazing, i think they should combine the toughness of fable 1 with the playability and fun aspect of the second one, there you go-perfect game

Offline Kyuubi

• Super Dooper Member
    • Blind 100
  • XBL: KyuubiKitsuni
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2010, 04:20:37 AM »
I think I have 7 or 9 hours play time so far but using it to find every single quest possible.....even the crappy relationship ones......want all the seals!

They will be mine.......

...my precious.......

It does feel a little flimsy though and still cant get used to the fact that they've removed all lists and stuck them in the sanctuary......

but annoying as it slows it all down!!

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads