Author Topic: DayZ Mod (Arma II)  (Read 1232 times)

Offline BackupLight

• Time Zone: GMT
  • Last.fm: OutwardSix
  • XBL: BackupLight
DayZ Mod (Arma II)
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
Arma II's DayZ Mod

This is a game that keeps getting more and more attention in the PC Gamer circles I've found myself listening in on lately, but I've not heard it mentioned here - since predominantly we seem to be a console crowd. I found DayZ just through listening to a podcast and it really got my attention, since anyone who's known me a bit will probably know I've been hankering after that Zombie Apocalypse "survival" RPG - not just Left 4 Dead shooters (granted, very good shooters).

So, DayZ is just a mod - though it's a mod that has thrust Arma II (a tactical shooter) back up to the high end of the sales charts on Steam. It's a little clunky to play, even clunkier to install and get working, but incredibly fun. Rather than giving you objectives, the game simply drops you off on the coastline of it's 225 square kilometer map with a torch, some painkillers and a bandage. The biggest thing to remember next is: if you die, you're dead. Having only recently found this concept EXISTED after playing Diablo 3, I was curious. Real time danger is great. But obviously not for everyone.

So for the sake of potentially getting some of you guys interested in looking, here's some YouTubeage of the mod in action, which gives you a taste of what to expect if you decide to fork out the £25/$30 for the game (it's something around that, you need to buy the "Arma II" Combined Operations (which includes the Operation Arrowhead expansion you need) package for the mod to work. If anyone's keen, you can find all the information on their website: http://dayzmod.com/ - or just give me a shout, I'll be eager to help since I'd be glad for the company! You quickly learn in DayZ that strangers can be really bad news (after they shoot you in the face and steal your beans).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gEMpcBTnJk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gEMpcBTnJk</a>

Offline Maibs

• PSN: Maibs
  • Steam: Maibs
  • XBL: xXMaibXx
Re: DayZ Mod (Arma II)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
Just picked this up, been playing the Single-player (via torrent!) for a couple of days, just purchased as was really enjoying it.

Also anyone else thinking for giving it ago:

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

after weeks of speculation, rumour and frankly worldwide hoping, it has been confirmed that the ARMA II mod DayZ will be released as a standalone title.

Earlier today creator Dean “Rocket” Hall announced on his development blog that the hugely successful zombie mod would indeed be redeveloped and released as a standalone. Hall stated that”This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago,”.

This announcement is hardly a surprise for those who have been following the little mod that could, the surprise hit has recently reached 1 million players worldwide and a standalone release will undoubtedly spike interest.

For those who don’t know, DayZ is a zombie survival FPS game which places you in the fictious Eastern European region of Chernarus wherein you must scavenge your way to survival. Players must search for weapons to fend off the zombie horde not to mention trigger happy human players. On top of this, finding food and water is vital to survival, a seemingly simple idea that is left out of games far too often.

The mod was developed by ex-soldier “Rocket” who got the idea for a survival based game from his own personal experience during a survival exercise in the jungles of Brunei wherein he had to forage for food and water in a relentless and unforgiving environment.

Whilst the Zombie genre is a saturated market, DayZ has managed to find a niche of it’s own that has captured the imaginations of gamers across the world. Whilst games like Left for Dead etc. allow gamers to play in a Zombie apocalypse setting, DayZ allows players to feel like they’re living it. It really asks the question, what would you do to survive?

As of yet there are no concrete details on the project, but it is likely that some of the rougher edges will be smoothed out and some new features added to entice current DayZ players to switch over from the mod. Hopefully the standalone title will lose none of it’s sandbox, character permadeath features that what make it such a joy to play and will merely improve on the gaming experience.

Interestingly  DayZ will follow the Minecraft development model. Hall stated that “The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price” This development model undoubtedly served Minecraft well, and the implementation of this for DayZ should mean that those reluctant to purchase ARMA II won’t have too long a wait before joining in with the Zombie fun.

Offline Maibs

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
Also we will have to hook up sometime if your still playing, pretty scared to go out on my own!!

Offline BackupLight

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
pretty scared to go out on my own!!

This statement alone accounts for why my guy doesn't play as much as I'd probably enjoy playing. Haha. Last I logged in, I had swapped my Lee Enfield rifle for a crossbow! Then got chased by a horde, hid in a building, some new guy got killed trying to come into my building with the horde outside (but this distracted the zombies!), I made it away into a little town only to have to run like crazy away from some guy with an automatic weapon.

..And since then, I haven't had the nerve to log in. ;D

Edit: But I am totally up for playing some more! We'll hook up sometime, see if we can't get each other killed. Anyone else up for it? Safety in numbers!

Offline Maibs

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »
Was doing so well into I fell down a ladder and broke me legs miles from anyone and anywhere...

Offline BackupLight

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:26 AM »
Was doing so well into I fell down a ladder and broke me legs miles from anyone and anywhere...

;D

I tried jumping from a "small" ledge once - knocked myself out but thankfully didn't break anything. Did you die/respawn or are you just crawling around all crippled? I don't have morphine but I can probably do a suicide run to a hospital for some!

Offline zerosum

• Forum Moderator
  • Living Legend
  • Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke...
    • Time Zone: GMT -07
  • PSN: ZeroEquals
  • Steam: ZeroEquals
  • XBL: ZeroEquals
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:54:34 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6FBrgM0cnQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6FBrgM0cnQ</a>

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads