Author Topic: How to Share Xbox Live Purchases  (Read 7288 times)

Offline RedMaster11

• Super Dooper Member
    • Time Zone: GMT
  • XBL: Red Master 11
How to Share Xbox Live Purchases
« on: October 02, 2009, 05:58:05 AM »
I have two xbox's, my wife keeps her profile on one and me on the other. She bought The Maw a while ago and I fancy playing it. I think my only option is to transfer my profile to her xbox and play from there, is that right? Ideally I'd like to transfer the license for the game to my xbox. Can that be done? I know licenses for all dlc can be transfered, but can you just transfer one?

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
Re: How to Share Xbox Live Purchases
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:01 AM »
You can transfer licenses between consoles but not between users. You'll have to play as her gamertag. You only want to scorewhore the game :P

Offline RedMaster11

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:51:55 AM »
I thought as long as my profile is on the console with the license I could play it?

Offline Failed

• Living Legend
  • to you sir, i say 'pew pew'
  • XBL: FailedSeppuku
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »
dunno, i'm not home to check sorry. Was just winging it with my answer.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
  • "Mr. Neato" if you're nasty
    • Time Zone: GMT -05
    • You Are Here
  • Last.fm: nCogNeato
  • OnLive: nCogNeato
  • PSN: nCogNeato
  • Steam: Mr_Neato
  • Wii: 4102880400203632
  • XBL: nCogNeato
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
The License Migration Tool basically releases the static licenses for all of your purchased content, and then places the static license for each item onto the next console it is downloaded to.

So theoretically, you can use the License Migration Tool on your wife's account, then download only The Maw onto your console, and then redownload the rest of her purchased content onto her console.  That would give The Maw's static license to your console, and give the licenses for everything else back to her console.

Alternatively, you could just use a Memory Unit to mobilize your profile so you can take it from one console to another.  Then simply play The Maw on her console (online or offline).  But I would actually suggest replanning your entire Xbox Live Marketplace purchasing habits to get the most for the least money.  Here's a long comment I posted on the xbox.com forums to explain how licensing works, and how I use it to my advantage.

First, let me state that this does not violate Microsoft's Terms of Use.  This is simply utilising the allowed DRM flexibility established and authorized by Microsoft and Xbox.

This is a little complicated, so read slowly.

Marketplace (not Avatar Marketplace) content is given two licenses in order to authorize use.

A static license is given to the console used to originally download the content, allowing everyone using that console to acces it.

A mobile license is given to the profile that purchased the content, allowing that single profile to download and access the content on any other console, while other profiles cannot.

I own two Xbox 360 consoles.
Console A - downstairs
Console B - upstairs

When I make a purchase on Xbox Live Marketplace, I sign into Console B with my profile (via Memory Unit) to make the purchase.  Then I sign out.  This places a "static license" on Console B, allowing anyone to use the content on that console even if I'm not signed into it.

I take my Memory Unit back to Console A and sign into my profile.  I then download my newly purchased content onto Console A.  Since my profile has a "mobile license" for my purchased content, I can access my content from any console as long as I am signed into Xbox Live.  But since Console A does not have a "static license" for my purchased content, I MUST BE SIGNED INTO XBOX LIVE in order to use the content on Console A.

This allows me to share XLBA games and DLC between my two consoles, which comes in very hand when I have friends/family over.  They play on Console B, I play on Console A.  I can also use Console B to play my games and DLC offline, in the event my internet goes out and I cannot sign into Xbox Live.  I cannot use my content from Console A if I'm not signed into Xbox Live.

If you would like to transfer the static licenses from your Console A (downstairs) to your Console B (upstairs), use the License Migration Tool.  The License Migration Tool can only be used once every 12 months.

Offline RedMaster11

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
Thanks Neato. I ended up transferring my profile by memory card. I finished the Maw in a few hours, and while I was there I thought I'd give Kingdom for Keflings a go. I'm ashamed to say I loved it, and completed it in one sitting!  :-[

Offline RedMaster11

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
Another question for Neato (or anyone else).

Can I use dlc purchased on one profile, with a game that was downloaded on another profile? From what you've said, if the game is on the console it was originally downloaded to, the license is static, ie. tied to the console, not the user, so this shouldn't be a problem? Am I wrong?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:04:08 PM »
If "Profile A" initially purchases and downloads DLC to "Console A", anyone can sign into "Console A" and use the DLC.  "Profile A" doesn't have to be signed in.  "Console A" doesn't even have to online.  That's the benefit of a static license.    :)

For example, I do this with Rock Band music downloads.  I take my profile (via Memory Unit) to my sister's house.  I sign into Xbox Live with her console.  I buy Rock Band DLC using her console.  Since the DLC I purchase is purchased and downloaded initially using her console, her console has the static license for the DLC.  Now she can use the DLC I purchased, even when my profile isn't signed into her console.

I take my profile home and sign into my console and download the DLC onto my console.  Since the DLC was not purchased using my console, I can only use the DLC on my console when my profile is signed into Xbox Live.  That's the mobile license.  Since my console is permenantly connected to the internet in my home, this is not a problem for me.

Offline RedMaster11

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 04:33:05 AM »
I should have said, my specific situation relates to Arcade games. There is a game that was downloaded to my wife's xbox on her profile. If I now transfer my profile to her xbox, can I purchase DLC and use it on that game?

My concern is that for Arcade games, the profile used to purchase the game and the DLC must be the same?

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
... My concern is that for Arcade games, the profile used to purchase the game and the DLC must be the same?

The profiles do not have to be the same.  But whoever wants to play the game (with the DLC) will need to be able to access both, following the static/mobile licensing logic explained above.

Here is an example:
  • Your wife signs into her console with her profile.
    Your wife purchases an Arcade game.
    That Arcade game has a static license on her console, so anyone signed into that console now has full access to that game.

You sign into your wife's console with your profile.
    You have full access to the Arcade game she purchased, because there is a static license on her console.
    You purchase DLC for that Arcade game and download it onto her console.
    That DLC has a static license on her console, so anyone signed into that console now has full access to that DLC and the Arcade game.

The rub is when you guys decide to try to play the game on another console (your's, a friend's, etc.).  Your wife has a "mobile license" for the Arcade game.  You have a "mobile license" for the DLC.  Unless your signed into the same console at the same time (and online), you will not have access to eachother's purchases.

The more purchases made by seperate accounts within the same household, the harder it becomes to keep track of who purchased what, and which console has the "static licenses".  This is why I recommend declaring one account in the house as the "Master" account that makes all of the purchases, usually the person that plays the most games.  Then, whenever anyone wants a particiular game or DLC, the "Master" account signed into their console and makes the purchase, giving their console the static license, and always giving the "Master" account the mobile license.

When other family members begin making their own Xbox Live digital purchases, they are then responsible for keeping track of what they bought, which may be difficult if they don't play games very often.  It is this "confusion factor" that Xbox Live relies on to maximize profit.  But if you develop a system in your household that works for you, you never have to purchase the same thing twice.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:33:33 AM by nCogNeato »

Offline RedMaster11

• Super Dooper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:42:17 AM »
Thanks Neato. I appreciate you explaining that to me.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
In related news ...

Last week, I got Halo 3 ODST with a download code for the Sgt. Johnson character.

One of my sisters bought ODST, but didn't preorder so she didn't get the download code.  I went to her house, signed into her console with my profile (via Memory Unit), and redeemed my download code.  Now the Sgt. Johnson DLC has a static license on her console, and I have the mobile license on my account.  We can both play as Sgt. Johnson at the same time from our own homes.

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
Thanks Neato. I appreciate you explaining that to me.

;D

Offline nCogNeato

• Administrator
  • Über Legend
    • You Are Here
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
For the benefit of Mr. and Mrs. Dfuse (and anyone else that has 2 Xbox 360's), I'm bumping this thread.  :)

Offline sambo

• Greatness Personified
  • No cuts, no buts, no coconuts?
  • Last.fm: sambomaher
  • XBL: ox SAMBO xo
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
Nice one Neato. My son will be geetting his own 360 at Christmas, Seems a long way away (but it will soon come around). I know I will be facing the same Problems/questions as this with 2 xbox's in the house.

Advertisement:
Login to Remove Ads